Getting a late start tonight. In the future I intend to utilize my downtime a little better and take advantage of the ability to load some articles up for publishing in the future! In a minute I will talk a little about the details of writing my backgammon game, but something happened to me today that made me take stock of some of my programming behaviors.
For a very brief time, and through no fault of their own, Cloud9’s workspaces were unavailable. It was somewhere around 30 minutes and I was hardly even inconvenienced. I was wondering why a certain piece of my code worked while another piece I was hoping to use as a more elegant solution to the same problem didn’t. Not pressing, but a bit of a shock.
“But you use source control, why not just pull down the code and look at it somewhere else?” an astute reader might ask. I do, and I could have… except I hadn’t pushed my code in a day or so. There are certainly a couple of lessons to be learned here, for me. In a wider sense, I need to have a backup plan. What that means specifically, is first, to keep my repository (more) up to date. With my code available, I would have been able to pop open another IDE and keep coding. To that end, I will be investigating the other cloud IDEs as backups. On the PC I will probably just rely on Visual Studio.
(I want to say, “lesson learned,” but at the time of this writing, I still haven’t pushed my changes up.)
wrapper in the HTML (and use inline CSS). I figured it wouldn’t be much more difficult to separate the css and JS into their own files and link them in the HTML. It generally wasn’t any more difficult. The other thing I wanted to do was set up a simple “webpage” that would hold the exercises and any of my projects. This actually did cause a little more cognitive overhead.
Next time, I’ll show you some of my code and talk about the reasons I made the decisions I made.